Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Tale of the Rhodes...

Some months ago, my sister-in-law (My wife's brother's wife) asked if I could help her try to sell a "keyboard" she had collecting dust in a back closet. I said, "Sure, why not?".

Turns out this "keyboard" was actually a 70s-vintage Fender Rhodes electric piano. Now, to most of you, that may not mean much, but those old Rhodes pianos put out a distinctive sound that can't really be reproduced with modern electronics. It's kind of like tube amps or Leslie organ rotating speaker cabinets. It's pretty sweet.

Not wanting to let this great power fall into the wrong hands, I got in touch with my musician Brother, Danny Stephens, he of Smalltown Poets and Buckhead Church fame.

After some time sitting in my garage, the Rhodes is finally in his possession over at the studio where his new music venture, One Atlanta Music (more about that some other time), has its HQ. The Rhodes isn't fully operational right now, but I'm going over there to see if I can futz with it to try to get it working a little better. I'm no electronics engineer, but I'm gonna check solder joints and clean contacts, etc.

I'll report more on my trip to the studio tomorrow...

1 comment:

  1. Nice blog, dude. How did you get the pic of yourself up there? I haven't figured that one out yet. I'm glad you are blogging. Now I can ask you for help. Yes, I know. That is very selfish of me. :(

    ReplyDelete